Mull Museum Tobermory UK Mull Museum Tobermory
MLA Accredited Museum
Member of Museums Galleries Scotland
Charity Number SCO000223
Home Page About us Gallery Collection Contact us Links Page Facebook
The Mull Museum collects items made on Mull, or with a strong Mull connection.

Brass oil lamp from MV Lochinvar
The Lochinvar was one of the earliest steamers to have electric lighting, but regulations required the vessel to carry oil lamps in case the electricity supply failed. MV Lochinvar plied the route from Oban to Tobermory, calling at Craignure, Lochaline, Salen and Drimnin on the way, delivering the mail and other light goods. The "dear old Lochinvar" was well liked by her passengers, as she was so much part of their everyday life.
Brass oil lamp from MV Lochinvar
Bronze bell salvaged from SS Aurania Bronze bell salvaged from SS Aurania
She was torpedoed 15 miles off the north-west coast of Ireland by the German U-boat U67 in February 1918. Eight crewmen were lost and the ship was abandoned. She drifted ashore off County Donegal.
Salvaged and refloated she was taken in tow bound for the Clyde, but broke her tow during a gale and drifted northward to Caliach Point on the Isle of Mull where she foundered, smashed to pieces on the rocks, and sank. This bronze bell was salvaged from the wreck. The clapper was not recovered.
Patterned rolling pin used for making oatcakes
The roller is different from ordinary rolling pins because it has grooves cut into the surface. This was to prevent the oatcake mixture from sticking to the roller and so making the oatcakes easier to handle.
Tobermory was well known for the many bakeries in the town and ships setting out across the Atlantic would stock up with baked goods that would keep, such as oatcakes and ships biscuits.
Patterned rolling pin
Carved Wooden Box Carved Wooden Box
designed and made by Alex Ritchie, who began life as a seagoing engineer but after an injury in the West Indies returned to Iona. He married the artist Euphemia Thomson and became interested in craft. Using the carved stones on Iona, and Celtic manuscripts, as inspiration for his designs, he made wood and leather items, then worked in brass and silver. His silver spoons and jewellery are now regaining popularity.
Pewter Communion Cup
from Kilninian and Kilmore parish. It is a most unusual design and unlike most other communion cups. The pewter cup is very fragile and in poor condition with the base is corroded on the edge. It could have been made as early as 1638.

More information about the treasures of the Mull Museum are online at www.scran.ac.uk but come to the Mull Museum and see for yourself.
Pewter Communion Cup